Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Brave Face

My family was greeted by some sad news Sunday evening. A dear and old friend had passed away from a year long battle with lung cancer. And although our minds tell us that she is in a better place now, free from pain; our hearts tell us that we are saddened by her absence and by her family's pain.
My mother, who is the stoic one of the family, has tried to put on a brave face; but I know she is filled with grief. Afterall, this was The Friend. Y'know, the one who knows everything that'll make you laugh. The one who knew you before you were someone's wife, before you were so and so's mother, and before you were too jaded and weary to do something crazy and reckless. I am glad my mother was able to return to Hong Kong last month for one last visit. Strange isn't it? To see someone, and know it is the last time you will smile and see each other's face. Shirley Auntie was (yikes, I'm using "was".)beautiful, smart, funny, gracious, classy, down-to-earth, and caring; and you think , Why Her? But most of all, she made my mother happy and for that I will forever love her for.

My very deepest condolesces to the Wong Family. We too are pained and send you our love.....

No comments: