Wednesday, November 30, 2005
The thing is, I understand how great it feels to get up early and accomplish more before 11am than I usually accomplish all day. I understand that great feeling of being up before most of the City and travelling the freeways and streets free of traffic. I was almost lulled into the Morning Person way of thinking with all the runs I've been doing. But Thanksgiving Holiday brought it all back. Sweet Sweet sleep! How lovely it was to sleep in till 11am with nothing I HAD to do. Nothing pertinent to get up for. No alarm buzzing in my ear. No bags under my eyes.. Just the bliss of slumber...... Zzzzzzzzzz.
Wednesday, November 23, 2005
Chris Columbus should be forbidden to direct anymore movies. Seriously. Unless it involves Barney or Lindsay Lohan, the Directors Guild should revoke his membership. His Harry Potters are the weakest of the lot thus far.. and now he has managed to take a movie that celebrates life and love and suck all the life out of it. He shows no vision and takes so many parts of this movie far too literally. Oftentimes the movies can't seem to decide if it wants to be steeped in grim, gritty reality or a freewheeling musical.
Last night was another midnight screening of a movie that I've been anticipating for over a year. I've seen Rent live over 8 times. I love showtunes, what can I say? Once I flew to New York just to catch Joey Fatone's performance of it at the Nederlander theater(NSync and Rent, 2 of my favorite things rolled into one). The fact that most of the original cast was part of the movie seemed to say positive things about the outcome. But when you add an absurd scene that even a theater full of diehard RentHeads will laugh out loud at... you have done something wrong. "Dude! He just seriously fucked up one of my favorite songs!"
And I am getting good. I called the Bareback- I mean Brokeback Mountain and Memoirs of a Geisha trailers. But damnit I missed the obvious! The Producers!!!
And how does my launchcast just know I'm still in showtune mode??? Little Shop of Horrors? Rent? Oklahoma? It's downright spooky. In any case, yes. I am exhausted once again, running on 4 hours of sleep. (No more midnight showings. Can someone please do an intervention!) Happy Day of Thanks my loverlies. Peace and good thoughts to you and all your family. I'm so excited to see some of you this coming week. And to the rest of you spread throughout the country, the world(!), I'm really bummed that I'm not able to see you. I miss you dearly!
Tuesday, November 22, 2005
Now accepting applications for Resident Houseboy. You will be only 1blk from public transportation. House has panoramic view of the San Franciso Skyline. Exclusive use of deck with Heat Lamps for the nippy San Francisco nights, even though you'll still have the best weather in the city. Must meet the following qualifications:
- Proficient in cocktail making, particularly with Stoli Vanilla.
- Knows intuitively what TV programs I will want tivo'd.
- Expert in the kitchen but won't make me fat.
- Will help me with the NYT crossword puzzle but only when I am at my most desperate.
- Must be willing to step in when I need a movie partner; especially opening nights, yes.. includes midnight showings so suck it up.
- Ensures that my wardrobe is in tip-top shape. Buttons on, wrinkles ironed out, shoes shined.
- Must do windows...
Yes, I know. Just let me live with the fantasy for a bit, OK?? Haha! What am I getting at is what you're thinking. Well this little girl is gettin' grownz up.
Yes, it is done my friends. In about 1 month, I will be moving into my very first home and breaking open my first(but certainly not last) case of Bowl of Noodles. As I finished signing all 2,084 pages of documents, I felt the nausea creep up into my chest. By the time I made it to the bank to request my final Wire Transfer my face was tingling. Once back in the office, I hid in my cubicle and tears streamed down my face. An auspicious beginning to home ownership, huh? It was suggested that I take the rest of the day off and go on a long run. I settled for a training session with Sergio and a Butterfinger. (-doh!) Eventually after moonlight walkies with Sake, my state of mind was much improved.
Actually, the move-in date unexpectedly advanced up on my calendar about 5 weeks This doesn't bode well for my nerves but I'll get through it. I am happy at the prospect of being in my home for the Holidays.I am anxious to move on with my life .. forward motion and all that. After 15 months of being a nomad, I will get to sleep in my very own bed again. Use my George Foreman grill again. Fall asleep to David Letterman again. And most importantly, have access to my full wardrobe again!
I will try to get some pictures out soon. And my new address is on its way to an email near you(Dolores Heights... I'll be on the Dirty Sanchez.) . And read it here first... New Year's Eve! Kegger! Be there!
Friday, November 18, 2005
I think actually my Friday is going to be Dark and Difficult. Usually working on 4 hours is manageable but today I feel like a cement mixer rolled over me (COFFEEE!!! I. Need. More. Coffee!!). But I always enjoy an Event Movie and Harry Potter and the Hogwarts clan did not disappoint. Mike Newell, the director, is known more for his "people" movies like Four Weddings and a Funeral and Donnie Brasco(No energy for cool links to IMDB.com so BACK OFF! You're lucky you're getting punctuation!) so this installment of the franchise definitely puts focus on the relationships between the three friends. Goblet of Fire is one of, if not The, longest of the HP series so far so I understand a good deal had to be left out. I forgive the story tellers that. Here now, the good and the bad. And don't worry. No spoilers...
- The opening scenes of the Quidditch Cup are soooo cool! The sight of the stadium got an "oooh" out of a lot of the audience.
- The Weasely Twins, George and Fred, are hilarious and lend a bit of humor that doesn't seem so forced.
- Asian Chick with Scottish Accent. w00t!
- Overall story telling and cinematography quite good.
- Alan Rickman and Ralph Fiennes class up everything they're in. (example: GalaxyQuest! and Red Dragon)
- Some great comic touches overall. A lot of laughs.
- Emma Watson's(Hermione) acting is getting worse and worse. I think she's taking courses at the Barney School of Acting.
- All the boys need haircuts!!! Somehow someone decided that the shaggy Partridge Family look is all the rage at Hogwarts.
- One particular scene underwater consists of lifeless bodies that literally look like dolls. Boo.
- Ron Weasley is turning into a real pussy.
- It's been a while since I read the book, I wanted the other characters to have more To Do. There's just so much to fit in though... I understand stuff was cut.
But ok, here's the other great part. My brother and I LOVE trailers. And there's been a lot of talk for YEARS about Superman. Well, we got the teaser last night. Movie seems to include the original score from the first Superman Movie which is fantastic.. oh and supposedly footage of Brando as Jal- oh whatever the fuck Superman's Dad's name is. I think that and Kevin Spacey as Lex Luther is hot. The fucked up thing is... they cut a horrible teaser and Superman looks Superlame.
We knew going in Superman Returns would be shown.. but my brother erred and guessed Narnia would also be shown. I called King Kong since the marketing is just now starting to ramp up for it. I was right. This is the third time I've seen the trailer and it looks like a hell of a movie. Peter Jackson is genius and I can already see this is a labor of love for him. It looks pretty kickass, and not just because I love gorillas (second to pandas of course.)
Whew! That was a lot of typing! I think the caffeine is kicking in! Thank goodness 'cuz I've got work, gym, jeans to pick up, a mani/pedi, happy hour, and the Depeche Mode concert to squeeze in today. Is it 5 yet?? CHEERS!
Tuesday, November 15, 2005
And so.. back at work. Blech. My Mac at home is screwed up in a major way(hence, no pics. Can anybody help?). Double Blech. Los Angeles is just as I left it. Spent a few days is all I need. But oh what a couple of great days!
- The Ellen Degeneres Show (featuring Sir Paul). Actually turned into Jennifer Aniston. See E? Strangely, it all turns out well! We got DVD's of Friends House, and a Kenny Chesney CD. ... Does anybody want a Kenny Chesney CD?
- Justin Timberlake is premiering his William Rast line at Kitson with a private party. We plan to crash. Too tired to crash parties after a day of waiting and taping. So we went to Kitson during regular shopping hours. But we got some D-level sightings nonetheless.
- Thursday night at Magnolia. YUM!!!!!! Tasty food, reasonable prices, and a Raphael Saddiq sighting. Go for the Mac n Cheese. Stay for the Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwich. Ask for Hannah Wood, yes Elijah's sister.
- Lunch at the Ivy. Corn Chowder was not bad!
- Fred Segal - nixed. Had a snack at PinkBerry instead; so refreshing. NOT to be missed. Thanks to Joe for such a great recommendation!! It was spot on!
- Friday night at Prey - Went to Tokyo instead. Opted to have $20 cover to actually go towards drinks. Fit in 3 cocktails before last call, and some boy bit my arm. I hope he had all his shots.... Thanks again to Joe for getting us in VIP style(ie.. No waiting!).
- Saturday morning wondering where I left my bra. I KEED! I KEED!! Unless of course I meet Justin and then all bets are off. ... Hit the road on 3 hrs sleep, made it back in 5 hours.... "There's no time to dilly dally!"
Monday, November 07, 2005
I enjoy playing this game a lot. But really, I usually name the same person. And after seeing VH-1's Train Week of a Celeb Reality show, But Can They Sing?, I am even more thoroughly adamant than ever. I would Bitch Slap Bai Ling.
I don't even like the idea of allowing her skankitude being on my Blog but I was concerned you all would need a visual to understand my venom. Once. A long time ago. I could say her acting was tolerable But now she is just a tragedy. A shame. I used to think that she gave Asian Women a bad name. But now, I just think she gives herself a bad name. She is a freaking idiot. She's a slut whore. She wears far too much makeup that should be allowed on any one face at any given time. And she's a liar(don't ask me how I know. We're chinese, we have special headquarters for this kind of stuff.) I don't care for certain celebrities, sure. But her. The sight of her just makes my blood boil and my fists clench. And I'm not the only one!
Okay. It's your turn to play... Celebrity Bitch Slap.
Friday, November 04, 2005
Last night, my darling 3yr-old nephew somehow managed to pants my dad. Let me tell you, it's quite a sight to turn around see your dad standing in the kitchen with his pj bottoms around his ankles ("Oh my eyes!!!"). We tried hard not to, but the laughs had to be released. I think my mom may have pee'd her pants.
We have a lot of fun with our little RJ. When a telemarketer calls, my mom simply hands the phone over to him to take care of.
Lately, this bit of dialogue runs through my head each time I find myself getting worked up over something.
I have decided to adopt this is my personal mantra. I think it's going to serve me well.
It's Friday. We've done nothing at the office here today except eat pastries and talk about the perfect sheer pink nail polish (Lippmann Collection: Sara Smile ) and which Marc Jacobs handbag we want.
You know there's only one thing that would make the Friday complete right?? ... Bring on the Dom my beautiful babies. And Cheers!
Edit: I really want to do this.( http://streetwars.net/ ) But I think I'm too chicken shit that crazy ass people are going to be jumping around corners to assasinate me. I don't think I could handle the stress!
Thursday, November 03, 2005
And speaking of Team, here is about 80% of Team Zissou. I think we were missing a few members who were out somewhere trying to score with Slutty Zena and a Slutty Snow White. Ha! Note the Zissou Patches and those are Team Zissou ID cards hanging around our necks. Big golf clap to everyone for putting it all together. Especially L for those ID Cards, classic.
2 hours into the night and the hats are gone. I'm about 3 Vanilla Stoli on the Rocks deep. ugh. Check out Ray Ray, still looking cute and fresh and adoreable(despite giving Christian Slater a run for his money.).
So drunken revelry crossed off the list. Next up. Trick or Treating with Buzz Lightyear.
My nephew did so good with his "Trick or Treats!" and his "Thank you's". He only got scared when Crazy Girl with Red Flashy Eyes walked by him and when Insane Tall Guy with Gorilla Suit and Football Jersey jumped out his front door at us.
Little Dodo did well too. The night was so frenetic that I didn't get any better pictures of her.
And look! I finally got to meet the Wizard! (Yes, I walked door to door with those shoes on.)
Yes. Slutty Dorothy was only Mildly Titillating Dorothy due to little exposed skin at the top. Just as well since I had to face my parents that night too; and explaining the shoes was difficult enough. I have to say.. my buttcheeks were hanging out the bottom and I had to desperately run around the house looking for white shorts to wear at the 11th hour.