Wednesday, November 23, 2005

More Midnight Movies

Chris Columbus should be forbidden to direct anymore movies. Seriously. Unless it involves Barney or Lindsay Lohan, the Directors Guild should revoke his membership. His Harry Potters are the weakest of the lot thus far.. and now he has managed to take a movie that celebrates life and love and suck all the life out of it. He shows no vision and takes so many parts of this movie far too literally. Oftentimes the movies can't seem to decide if it wants to be steeped in grim, gritty reality or a freewheeling musical.

Last night was another midnight screening of a movie that I've been anticipating for over a year. I've seen Rent live over 8 times. I love showtunes, what can I say? Once I flew to New York just to catch Joey Fatone's performance of it at the Nederlander theater(NSync and Rent, 2 of my favorite things rolled into one). The fact that most of the original cast was part of the movie seemed to say positive things about the outcome. But when you add an absurd scene that even a theater full of diehard RentHeads will laugh out loud at... you have done something wrong. "Dude! He just seriously fucked up one of my favorite songs!"

And I am getting good. I called the Bareback- I mean Brokeback Mountain and Memoirs of a Geisha trailers. But damnit I missed the obvious! The Producers!!!



And how does my launchcast just know I'm still in showtune mode??? Little Shop of Horrors? Rent? Oklahoma? It's downright spooky. In any case, yes. I am exhausted once again, running on 4 hours of sleep. (No more midnight showings. Can someone please do an intervention!) Happy Day of Thanks my loverlies. Peace and good thoughts to you and all your family. I'm so excited to see some of you this coming week. And to the rest of you spread throughout the country, the world(!), I'm really bummed that I'm not able to see you. I miss you dearly!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was still nice to see it on the big screen. To even have the 6 of the 8 orginal cast members be in the movie. So, there's a cheezy scene where Roger and Britney Spears are crooning, "I'm not a girl, not yet a woman".

So what if they're 10 years older then they're first appearance on stage. I love them all.

I'm just glad C.Columbus cut out the "hot hot sex sex latex rubber hot sex latex rubber" song....