Friday, November 18, 2005

"Dark and Difficult Times Ahead, Harry.."


I think actually my Friday is going to be Dark and Difficult. Usually working on 4 hours is manageable but today I feel like a cement mixer rolled over me (COFFEEE!!! I. Need. More. Coffee!!). But I always enjoy an Event Movie and Harry Potter and the Hogwarts clan did not disappoint. Mike Newell, the director, is known more for his "people" movies like Four Weddings and a Funeral and Donnie Brasco(No energy for cool links to IMDB.com so BACK OFF! You're lucky you're getting punctuation!) so this installment of the franchise definitely puts focus on the relationships between the three friends. Goblet of Fire is one of, if not The, longest of the HP series so far so I understand a good deal had to be left out. I forgive the story tellers that. Here now, the good and the bad. And don't worry. No spoilers...

The good:

  • The opening scenes of the Quidditch Cup are soooo cool! The sight of the stadium got an "oooh" out of a lot of the audience.
  • The Weasely Twins, George and Fred, are hilarious and lend a bit of humor that doesn't seem so forced.
  • Asian Chick with Scottish Accent. w00t!
  • Overall story telling and cinematography quite good.
  • Alan Rickman and Ralph Fiennes class up everything they're in. (example: GalaxyQuest! and Red Dragon)
  • Some great comic touches overall. A lot of laughs.

The bad:

  • Emma Watson's(Hermione) acting is getting worse and worse. I think she's taking courses at the Barney School of Acting.
  • All the boys need haircuts!!! Somehow someone decided that the shaggy Partridge Family look is all the rage at Hogwarts.
  • One particular scene underwater consists of lifeless bodies that literally look like dolls. Boo.
  • Ron Weasley is turning into a real pussy.
  • It's been a while since I read the book, I wanted the other characters to have more To Do. There's just so much to fit in though... I understand stuff was cut.

But ok, here's the other great part. My brother and I LOVE trailers. And there's been a lot of talk for YEARS about Superman. Well, we got the teaser last night. Movie seems to include the original score from the first Superman Movie which is fantastic.. oh and supposedly footage of Brando as Jal- oh whatever the fuck Superman's Dad's name is. I think that and Kevin Spacey as Lex Luther is hot. The fucked up thing is... they cut a horrible teaser and Superman looks Superlame.

We knew going in Superman Returns would be shown.. but my brother erred and guessed Narnia would also be shown. I called King Kong since the marketing is just now starting to ramp up for it. I was right. This is the third time I've seen the trailer and it looks like a hell of a movie. Peter Jackson is genius and I can already see this is a labor of love for him. It looks pretty kickass, and not just because I love gorillas (second to pandas of course.)

Whew! That was a lot of typing! I think the caffeine is kicking in! Thank goodness 'cuz I've got work, gym, jeans to pick up, a mani/pedi, happy hour, and the Depeche Mode concert to squeeze in today. Is it 5 yet?? CHEERS!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Trust.