Tuesday, January 09, 2007

The Hollywood Playoffs

There's a lot of activities lined up for this weekend... Not the least of which is the Golden Globes, the awards show that will officially kickoff Movie Awards Season. All of which, of course, will culminate in the female Super Bowl, the Academy Awards®. In other words kiddies, its my favoritest time of year!

But this year it's January and I'm not scrambling for movie dates. Although each passing year seems to bring a less bountiful harvest of quality films (Big Studio releases or otherwise), I can usually find SOMETHING of merit. This year has been slow. Slow enough for Beyonce Knowles to get a Globe Nomination, enough said. But there must be something out there worthy of at least a matinee?? The Annual Rundown of movies I'll scramble for:

From all the press and just based on her performance in HBO's Elisabeth I, Helen Mirren is a shoe-in for Best Actress. And I've been a fan of Steven Frear's films since My Beautiful Laundrette. God Save the Queen!


Is there anything these 2 women can't do? Dame Judi Dench as a lesbian? Brokeback Scandal, I mean, Notes on a Scandal may prove to be the only true challenge to Helen Mirren.

A possible Best Actor Nod? And look, its the Embarcadero in the back? GOTTA fit this Pursuit of Happyness in.


The movie poster alone is enough to entice me but Perfume is such an intriguing story about scent, obsession, and murder that even if I don't get to see the movie, I will read the book. The idea of Dustin Hoffman in powdered face is offputting but I'm game.


Edit: Oops. How could I forget about this one? Advance word on Alphadog is not great(although JT is getting fair reviews).. but who cares?? Look at those abs. I do find it interesting though, that Nick Cassavetes went from directing The Notebook to this. Methinks he must like exploring teenage angst.


Overall a stellar acting bunch... but I have yet to come across anything remotely close to Best Picture. Who is going to step up?? And don't tell me The Departed.

2 comments:

eccentricego said...

I haven't been to the cinema for over 6 months. So if you can go, GO!

Anonymous said...

Good to see Rowdeezy back on point. When stuff is going sideways, gotta get back to what you know, for sure!