Friday, January 05, 2007

The Gentlelady from California

Get ready everyone cuz Nancy Pelosi's in the Hizzouse!!

For the first time in its 218-year history dating to the beginnings of the American republic, The U.S. House of Representatives elected a woman Speaker yesterday when it chose Rep.Pelosi to lead the chamber. She also became the first Californian and the first San Franciscan to head the 435-member lower house of Congress. Can I get a "whut whut"?!!

As I watched the footage of Nancy striking the gavel, I became teary (damn this Winter Malaise!). I suppose no big surprise as I always seem tear up at the sight of history being made. Although I certainly have no aspiration to a career in politics, it was not lost on me that not only was this "a
historic moment for the Congress [but] an historic moment for the women of this country." Pelosi's selection as speaker puts her second in line of presidential succession, behind Vice President Dick Cheney. I wonder how it feels to be the most powerful woman in American Politics?

And I wonder how must it feel to be able to cast your vote during such a momentous vote?
It seemed many of the Democrats, announcing their votes, could barely contain their pride in their new speaker.

Rep. Sam Farr, D-Carmel, said: "As a native of San Francisco, Nancy Pelosi.''

First-term Rep. Jerry McNerney of Pleasanton rose and said, "It is my pleasure to cast my first vote in this House for Nancy Pelosi.''

Rep. Sheila Jackson-Lee of Texas, intoned, "Today we make history for a new America. Enthusiastically for Nancy Pelosi.''

Rep. John Lewis, D-Ga., added, "On this historic day when the eyes of the nation are upon us and on our history, I am very proud to cast my vote for the young lady from California, Nancy Pelosi.''

Indeed, even as Rep Boehner, R-Oh, handed over the gavel in his speech to the House was gracious and aware of the moment's history.

"Today marks an occasion I think the Founding Fathers would approve of. Today, whether you are a Democrat, Republican or independent, today is a cause for celebration.''

HERE!! HERE!!

No comments: