Monday, August 27, 2007

Everybody Run! The Homecoming Queen's Got a Gun...

My attitude towards guns has always been a healthy mixture of apprehension, respect, intimidation, and fear. I didn't grow up around them; and like a lot of people, my main familiarity with them has been through media reports of gang shootings and Hollywood depictions. And though I always thought Kelly Garrett and the rest of the Angels always looked so cool chasing down bad guys with their pistols, I never thought it could be for me. Don't get me wrong. As a little girl, I do remember running around the house with my fingers in gun formation, yelling "Cover me Bree!" over my shoulder. But the fear of having an actual gun in my hands made me cringe with fear.

When D brought out his Mossberg I just curled up into a little ball in the couch, refusing to hold it. When he urged me to even just touch it, he swears I just curled up into an even littler ball. But secretly, somewhere deep down, I knew I wanted to be an Angel.

This past Sunday I got my very first taste of shooting firearms. The Boys go shooting at the range regularly enough, but up till now, I was never able to make it. They chose a great Gun Club in the Los Altos hills... and on a beautiful bright Sunday, we made a day of it.

I got to shoot clay pidgeons and even did some target practice with pistols!
As Laino showed me how to load and aim, I became increasingly nervous. But surrounded as I was by 6 other comfortable gunhandlers, I knew everything would be alright.

Admittedly, I was shocked by the kickback the first time I pulled the trigger. I was slightly in awe of the power I could feel coming out of the muzzle. But when I hit the pidgeon on my 2nd or 3rd shot, it started to feel like fun! I couldn't believe that I actually got the shotgun to do what I wanted it to do. A certain part in me kicked in, and I wanted to get better at this delicate balance between (wo)man and metal. Did it happen in the course of one afternoon? No. Did I have (parden the pun) a blast? YES. My respect for guns certainly grew; but truth be told, I think a bit of my fear did too....

Lock, stock, and two smoking barrels.


Superbad!
On a clear day, you can shoot forever.

"You can take the redneck out of Ohio...."


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The comment on the last picture should read "Go ahead, soak it up, lookings for free."