Monday, July 09, 2007

Being Green: Episode 1

Or.. Al Gore may I please have a word with you?

A curious story about my attempts at Being Green. One of my bathroom lights blew out today and although a slight annoyance, I thought, yippee! the perfect chance to use the Compact Flurescent Lightbulb (CFL) that I bought but had yet to break open. So I pitpat over to my cupboard and pulled the bulb out with no small amount of self-congratulatory glee. Hmmm...
Is it me? ... Or is there a lot of packaging here for one bulb?

Yes. In fact, methinks there is more packaging wrapped around this bulb then there is around Melanie Griffith's face!


Undaunted, I proceeded to open the package and get my Green on. Except it seemed to take forever. My scissors had a tough time cutting through the thick plastic. I gave up the strategy and tried attacking the plastic with my hands. I pulled and pulled. And with one final try I pulled the two plastic sides apart. Success! ... The bulb came flying out of the packaging and landed 6 inches below onto my new acrylic coffee table. I think you can guess the rest....

Yeah, $7 in the trash. A lot of wasted plastic. And I still have incandescent bulbs in my bathroom......
I've said once, and I'll say it again... its just not so easy being green.....

1 comment:

Eerie Ca said...

Ok seriously.


she looks like a serious freak.