Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Ahoy Mateys!

In the world of adventure and physical challenges, I am what you call a late bloomer. I have only in recent years pushed myself to explore new experiences that I would have previously had run (very fast)away from.

This year will be no different as I am taking on a sailing challenge this October on behalf of the Tallship Education Academy and I humbly ask for your support with a tax-deductible donation at this link. Not only will I be learning how to sail on the San Francisco Bay, I will also be raising money for an educational program that ties academics into sail training and give young students an educational experience that would change how they view themselves, their future and their community. Something I myself never had; hence, the late blooming.

Founded by Caitlin Schwarzman in 1998 at Mercy High School in San Francisco, the Tall Ship Semester for Girls is set apart by four unique elements. First, the students are racially and socio-economically diverse, second, all students’ have demonstrated financial need is met, third, students are all drawn from the San Francisco area and their lessons at sea are tied into their lives during the culminating six weeks in their home community and finally, this program is the only all-girls sail training program in the country.

The 3-days Women’s Challenge is designed to give 12 participants a taste of what the girls will experience during a semester at sea, and all proceeds will benefit the Tall Ship Semester for Girls program. I will be part of a small group that will work together aboard the Schooner Seaward to learn the important skills necessary to sail a large schooner in San Francisco Bay and along the coast. Success will depend not only on individual sailing knowledge but on the strength of the group’s ability to work together as a team. Quite frankly, success will also depend on my ability to avoid seasickness, my not so great ability as a swimmer, and how I deal with the bathroom situation. ACK!

I hope you can help with my fundraising goal (its a doozy!)this year in making a Semester at Sea a reality for a deserving student. And I promise I will have stories o’plenty after my 3 days on the Sea!

I do encourage you to read more about this accredited program: www.tallshipacademy.org
And read about last year’s crew in the San Francisco Chronicle!

ALL DONATIONS TAX DEDUCTIBLE

No comments: