Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Ashes to Ashes ... Dust to Dust

I went to a funeral last month.
She was 20.
We were all a wreck.
It was open casket.
I felt creeped out.
I assume though, that at the age of 20, your own funeral arrangements are not on the top of your list of things to do(unless maybe if you're Marilyn Manson). But I wondered if this is what she would've wanted. And I found myself wondering what I wanted for myself.

In some ways, funerals are like weddings. You would initially thinks that its about you, "the star" of the show; but its also about the your community and family coming together to hold witness, celebrate, mourn. .. But does the sight of a made-up corpse lying "peacefully" in a plumped casket help people to say good bye?

Ultimately my wish is to be cremated, ashes spread out into the Bay of My Beloved City( I don't think the La Prairie at Neiman Marcus would appreciate my ashes). Will people get the closure they need at the viewing of an urn? Granted, I would also want a kickass wake where people just get drink and celebrate.
I would wish my loved ones closure, but here I am worrying about others, even in my death. But like I said, its never just about you...

No comments: