Thursday, September 15, 2005

To Do List

I'm getting the chance to cross another thing off My List! This Saturday morning I shall be departing for Yosemite National Park to make the 14mile(roundtrip) hike up to the top of Half Dome. As a Californian with this legendary landmark just a drive away, I've always felt it was one of those Things I Had to Do. But I must admit, Half Dome was only added to that List a few months ago. You see there's a little maintenance issue I've had to contend with. When I mentioned my planned excursion to a friend recently, it went something like this:

Row: "Hey, guess what? I'm going to do Half Dome this weekend!"
Friend: "You."
Row: "Yes, me."
Friend: "You're going to make that 12 hour hike?"
Row: "Yeah, I'm not worried about that part.
Friend: "You're not?"
Row: "Nah. The camping part scares me more than anything else."
Friend: "But you're High Maintenance. You don't camp."
Row: "I know! That's the scary part. That's what I'm trying to tell you!"
Friend: "You're not staying at the
Ahwahnee?"
Row: "They want $400 a night. I already called...."
Friend: "Do you even OWN a sleeping bag???"
Row: "I bought one yesterday! And I also got this
cool super thin super absorbent towel thingy. "
Friend: "It's all going to end badly isn't it.."
Row: "Pretty much."

My preparations for Skydiving went a lot smoother a few years back. Afterall, I only needed to pack me, myself, and I. Other items on My List: Summer Olympics 2008 in Beijing, Hiking the Himalayas, and running through the mountains of Austria a la Julie Andrews (RIP Robert Wise).

What's on Your List?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Munros.