Wednesday, September 21, 2005

This is All Going to End Badly: Part 2 - My What the F*ck Moment

The night in the 8-person tent passed peacefully. No bears ripped us to shreds, no frost awaited us in the morning. Just that crispity air that outdoorsy people always rave about. After packing up trail mix, PB & J's, liters of water, and Fruit by the Foot, we were ready. Only 8.2 miles until we met with destiny. Along the way we saw some breathtaking sites and climbed up some daunting trails.

Beautiful and awe-inspiring.. even from the beginning. The Blah Blah Blah Falls, that's all I know.


Check out all the cool reflective crap on our clothes... Damn my fanny size is not helped by my fanny pack


Borderline Blair-Witchy... but I took the picture anyway... This became quite helpful as a trailmarker on the way back down.

After about 6 hours of hiking, we arrived at my What the Fuck moment. You see, once you hit the trail up to Half Dome... you never actually get a view of it. So you randomly point at all high in the sky mountains and say "Hey! That must be Half Dome!" only to realize you are retarded and it's not. "You keep speaking of this... 'Half Dome'..... Are we ever going to see it??"

Well, be careful what you wish for. Because this was our first glimpse of the path we were taking to go up that big crazy rock.


"See those ants?? ... Well, those aren't ants...."

Realizing what I really needed to do to finish this trek, panic began to set in. BTW, did I mention, that I'm slightly phobic with heights?? Yeah. I know... I'm smart..... Seriously, I was already feeling the beginning pangs of nausea set in. What had I gotten myself into??!!


"I'm not looking! I'm not looking!"

I finally told myself that if I ever wanted to be on Amazing Race, that guy with the shmarmy haircut was going to make me do crazier shit than this. So SUCK IT UP! I also told myself I was having a Frodo Baggins moment and needed to chuck my One Bracelet in the fiery pits of Mordor. .. That didn't help too much. .... Nothing left to do at this point but clear my mind, take a nap, and try to achieve Zen-like state that would carry me through the rest of the hike.


Please note: Brand New Northface™ fleece was ultimately lost during the course of this odyssey.

No comments: