Wednesday, September 07, 2005

His Name is Martin Fry, F-R-Y

How can I convey the air of all-around Kick-Assity that occured Friday night at the Red Devil Lounge? (What a fantabulous way to kick off Labor Day weekend BTW.) Oh, if only my sister were there with me so I could prove to her that ABC existed.. and not only do they still exist, they still rock the house!!  Now, for those of you who are referencing Another Bad Creation in your minds,  WRONG.  You might as well beat it.  I shall be waxing rhapsodic for the next few reading minutes about the band that recorded one of my favorite all time 80's songs(The Look of Love).  I know I know.  I guess 80's bands are now dorky retro, eh?  But could Martin Fry be any cooler and relevant by recruiting the duo from Air for his backup band? 

IMG_2325

As for Martin, he was never a looker in the same vein as the pretty boys from Spandau Ballet or of course, Duran Duran.   He always seemed older and more mature than the other pop singers of the time; so seeing him age was not a disappointment.  He is still suave and debonair enough to carry off a rhinestone belt buckle.

IMG_2330

And when the crowd recognized the first few melodic notes of "When Smokey Sings", the place went wild.   I won't run down the entire playlist here(I will answer individual inquires.), but suffice it to say My Favorite was sung...  and how outstanding to hear all of us belting out..  "Hip Hip Hooray-ay!!... Yippy Yai Yippy Yai Yay-ay!!"  along with Martin!  Oh so cheesy!  But oh so perfect....!

IMG_2331
Special Thanks must go out to Jordan and Jay of the Red Devil Lounge who took such good care of me and my girl Leslie!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GAWD! He looks ancient!! Did they have to dust him off before he got on stage?

Hey! Me and Mer... may swing by RDL on Friday.