Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I Came, I Sailed, I Conquered

I was unsure what three days on a schooner would bring my way. It was definitely an adventure; both of the expected and the unexpected.

I was immediately hit by the visceral sensations of being out on the water. The weather, the wind, the swells, the smells! And as if all that weren't enough to take in, my crewmates and I had to learn all the schooner parts and what they did. It was an entirely new world with a language all its own.

Halyards, cleets, main stays'l, luffing and tacking. What planet were we on??!?

I can't say I came back from this sailing challenge a changed woman per se.. but it most certainly has given me a whole another view of the world, of my own home. I saw parts of the bay I have never seen in my entire life living here in the Bay Area. I got a taste of what I think a part of maritime history that we don't really talk about anymore. Schooners having been more widely used in the United States than in any other country, popular in "trades" that required speed and windward ability, such as slaving, privateering, blockade running and offshore fishing. There is a whole subculture still of people who live on boats year round; they couldn't imagine living life at a 9-to-5 like most of us. I understand now the appeal of an everchanging environment, taking nothing for granted. Unlike the almost robotic way I sometimes go about with my workday. Wakeup, get coffee, ride the train, go to office, sit in my chair, and stare at my monitor.

My building stays in place. My cubicle always looks the same.

But getting just a small taste of what this Tallship program has to offer, I can only imagine what a new perspective this must give to a 16-year-old, for 6 weeks! It is humbling and yet empowering. Frightening to be so far out of one's element; yet comforting knowing there are your crewmates with also the same fears.

I worked alongside 14 other women who were committed to teamwork and learning. And believe me, when we were hit with a horrendous storm on our first full day out, morale was low. But we all focused on why we were there and what we came to do. Truly a lovely experience.

I cannot, however, say the same for the Head. blech. While I slept in my rack, I could smell the intoxicating scent of a port-a-potty waft through the salon. I'm not sure if the smell is completely out of my system but all I can say is yuck. I'll never get used to that.

I recommend anyone out there interested to step up to the challenge next year. You won't regret it. Know this is a wonderful educational opportunity for young girls who would never have the chance otherwise.And thanks to ALL OF YOU who supported me on yet another adventure. You can see all the pics here.

1 comment:

Nguyen Family Circus said...

wow...this is truely amazing Row. I love the pics. You've had such an eventful year. It's great that you are getting out an doing all these unique things. I'll have to remember this program when my girls are old enough!