Monday, October 29, 2007

I Having Nothing to Wear

Although in principle I am vehemently against the slobbification of America, I must concede; there are times when only sweatpants will do.

At those particular moments in time, I know I'm as comfortable as can be.. but I cannot help but wonder.. what message am I sending out? What on earth would people think of my fashion ethic? Do the people of Anything-Goes-San-Francisco even care??? What constitutes San Francisco Fashion anyway?

Meaning... when I think of New York Fashion, I think American Sportswear.. and lots of Black.
And of course, Paris fashion is all about Haute Couture sophistication:


And then there are the English Eccentrics:And even Los Angeles; I think there's LA fashion. It may not be high fashion, but its a look:

But what about my Beloved City? What is the look that cohesively ties together the city's identity?

Its not khaki's and white poplin, god forbid; although the GAP tried really hard to make that happen.
Is it hippie chic?? *barf* Is this the image people all over the world have of San Francisco when it comes to fashion?? *double barf*

And truly, shit like this just makes me mad... WTF????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I call this the Smug Hipster look. Ladies, just throwing more shit on your body does not make it fashion! I know we dress in layers here, but give it up already!

Is it any wonder then that San Francisco Fashion Week seems so uninspired? As a follower of fashion, I am always aware of New York and Paris fashion weeks. But does anyone really know what goes on during SF Fashion week? I thought I would check in with the local fashionistas on the SF Fashion Week website and see what insights they might have.

“San Francisco style is an expression of individualism mixed with a sense of city chic.”

“San Francisco's fashion is as diverse as it's inhabitants, it's neighborhoods and it's ever changing weather patterns!”

Just as I thought! They don't know either! .. This City is so hellbent on diversity and individuality, we use it as a crutch for not having a true fashion identity. Don't get me wrong , I love this City for all that it offers, the crazy melange of characters I come across every day. But what I come across on the Muni J-line does not constitute high fashion.

Where am I going with all this??
*sigh* I see and meet fashionable folks all the time. How and why is none of that being tranlsated into a strong cohesive identity to present to the world? Are we spiting ourselves for the sake of expressing a state of mind? A shame that for all those who love fashion, it seems as though we all end up looking elsewhere for inspiration.

3 comments:

Dave Doolin said...

Awesome! "Smug hipster." I like it. Going to use it: "She had that air of hipster smugness..." etc etc etc.

Dave Doolin said...

"Elimination characterises the smart costume or hat, and the smart
designer is he or she who can make one flower, one feather, one bow of
ribbon, band of fur, bit of real lace or hand embroidery, say a distinct
something." --- Emily Burbank, Woman as Decoration

Rowdeezy said...

I only have to follow Coco Chanel's addage, get dressed, before you head out the door look in the mirror and take one thing off. THEN go.