Sunday, December 10, 2006

Sending Christmas Cheer

It's all sort of coincedence but it so happens that I picked Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day last week for a little Holiday get-together with my friends. My caveat? Instead of presents, or cards, or paying for a pricey dinner together, I suggested we all bring supplies, and we would make care packages to send to our Marines in Iraq.

I had been feeling so melancholy and useless, particularly in the wake of James Kims death, I wanted all of us to do something outside of ourselves. And you know, making my Target run for goodies was fun! *La*La and I got socks, hats, snack bars, cards, dice, jr slinkies, jerky, chapstick, kool-aid, Emergen-C, and I even dug up a few Beanie Babies from my collection.

And I couldn't be more proud of everyone's efforts! Despite a few last minute no-shows, my friends pulled through with some awesome loot to send to the troops! I must also thank the US Postal Service for making the packaging process easy.. Call their 1-800# for a military kit all your own! (Priority Mail™ boxes, tape, labels, and customs forms.)

Look at all that stuff!


Here I am working hard. There's my Honey in the back reading. And before you think he's being uber studious, it's a book about Japanese Sex clubs...



This was my first time sending anything to a military address. I hope our packages make it into the hands of needy soldiers. But most of all, I hope our brave men and women just all come home safe.

1 comment:

eccentricego said...

An excellent project for my daughters, thanks for the inspiring post!