Monday, December 04, 2006

Good and Good FOR You

I would be hardpressed to tell you the last time I attended a concert that didn't involve Justin Timberlake. .... .... Okay, stop laughing. No...., really, you can stop now. The fact is, I have taken myself out of the live music scene, local otherwise, for quite some time. Blame it on old age, blame it on plain ol' laziness. It became too much of a chore to seek out new acts, shell out $30+ dollars on someone I wasn't really sure I wanted to see live, the standing, the pushing, the inevitable funkified armpit that floated at by nose level, and I had just been disappointed one too many times.

But you know what? All those quibbles were wiped away last night when I rounded up a few of the usual suspects to join me for a night with Imogen Heap. Here's an artist that has stayed on fairly regular rotation on my iTunes, the Warfield theater was a familiar lowkey venue, and I could be fairly assured that there would no hardcore moshpit developing.


This was one of the most enjoyable musical nights out I have had in ages. I'm so bummed some of the gang couldn't make it; all I can say is, you missed a fantastic night. I now worship at the altar of Imogen. Although battling a cold, she soldiered on with a delightful show and won the whole audience over. She came out and introduced her own opening acts(who were impressive in their own right but more on them later) , who does that??? This classically trained pianist was beguiling and charming and I wanted to wear her frilly fushcia petticoats to work! She took time out to highlight the technical gizmos (parrot!) she would be using, she sipped her tea and blew her nose, she even had a Start Over(We shall blame it on forementioned Parrot)! I even wanted to bring her stage design home. .. Illuminated corsets and twinklng christmas lights???.... Give them to me Immy!

(Note here, Kid Beyond beatboxing the drum n bass track to the song. SICK.)


The best part of the evening though was actually arriving in time for the 2 opening nights. Usually, I'm a main event kind of gal.. but the acts Imogen invited to tour with her also happen to be a part of her band and they blew us away. Levi Weaver is a writer of clever melodic tunes along the lines of the new wave of solo balladeers, see Teddy Geiger. "I'm not better, I'm just bitter.".. You said it... Look him up, it's worth it. But the breakthrough of the night, and I'm of sure the tour, has got to be San Francisco's own, Kid Beyond. As Imogen so aptly put it, this man can do incredible things with his mouth. The beatboxer, singer, and live looper knocked us out with his charisma and high voltage talent last night. D just got up in the middle of the show, walked out to the lobby, and bought his CD on the spot for me. He is that mesmerizing. And when he breaks into Nine Inch Nails? You have just GOT to believe....


So all in all, a great night. DeYoung even found us some seats! And as we sat there taking in all the great musical vibes, he voiced something I think we were all feeling. There is nothing quite like Live Music. "It's good for the soul." ... That was never more true than last night. But oh how easy it is for me to forget. So here it is. .. another "note to self"; posted for all to see. Surprise my soul every now and then... There is nourishment to be had.

1 comment:

EerieCa said...

Live music is good for the soul.

I believe that!

Sounds like a great night. You didn't have to deal with tweens taking off their $1.99 bra and panties and throwing them onstage.