Thursday, February 09, 2006

Bonjourno Turino!

I know it's not "cool".. but I'm a dork and I'm a sucker for the Olympics(Winter, Summer, it doesn't matter). Maybe it's because I still see myself as a non-athlete (ok.. maybe they'd let me into the Gimp Olympics or something.) that I marvel at the idea of athletes around the world coming together for competition.


Oh and I know there's all the corporate sponsors and the nationalistic bullshit and US networks only show US athletes , blah blah blah. I don't care. When I see those kids on the podium watching their flag go up, my tears well up. It's a simple, pure moment for me that makes me cry.


And the Opening Ceremonies?? Fogeddaboutit!! Ali lighting the torch?? The Afghanistan Delegates walking into Greece 2 years ago(I cried). And I always whoop and holler for the country who is only able to send one athlete. And man! Is he/she happy to be there! C'mon!!! That's good stuff!!!!


Who remembers Freddy the Eagle who sucked so bad at the ski jump that he turned into a crowd pleaser? The unknown Midori Ito nailing her skate routine knowing she had no chance at medaling but everyone knew her name for sure after that. And of course, the Jamaican Bobsledding team??! That's why I watch the Olympics. ... Plus Bode Miller is kinda hot.


<- Hmmm. Not thrilled about the official "mascots" though. WTF is it???

1 comment:

EerieCa said...

How about

Did you forget about Jeremy Bloom.