Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Tough Crowd in the City

In the last couple of months, I have made overtures to homeless people here in San Francisco. I offer what I have with respect but without pity.

Once, I was headed to the Muni Station after stopping off at the grocery store. I had a bag(my own burlap one, natch) full of randon groceries, topped off by some apples. When I passed a homeless man panhandling, I turned and said, "Sir, I've got an apple here for you if you're hungry." He calmly opened his mouth and pointed to his toothless gums. I felt like an @sshole....

Today, after a refreshing yoga class at the gym, I once again made my way to the Muni station. This time I had a Satsuma orange in my pocket I was going to eat, but I stopped and said, "Hey Dude, would you like an orange?" The man seated on the ground waved both me and the orange away dismissively. For a moment there, I felt as though I did something wrong.

It can be a tough crowd out there in the See-tay.

No comments: