Tuesday, November 14, 2006

One Step at a Time

You may have caught the references in some recent posts .. But have you noticed?
It's that time of year...
There is a crispness in the air, the sun shines with a different intensity (if it shines at all!), and a few of us get a little stir crazy. Oh yes, the Fall Marathon Season is in full stride.

In much of the USA, fall is the best time of year to run a marathon. The crisp, cool air is ideal for training after a long, hot summer. The training miles and long runs come easier; you just feel better while running. ~Let me switch gears just slightly as I also include 5k/10k runs in this post.~ I have completed numerous 10Ks, 12Ks and even two half-marathons but I have yet to complete a full marathon. As it was, 13 miles was the furthest I had ever pushed my body and to date it's the hardest thing I have ever done. Indeed, after a big running year in '05, I think I subconsciously took a minor sabbactical from running. Somehow, somewhere I lost my motivation. Just going 4 miles once a week has been a physical (and mental!) challenge.

But as I watched my friend Van finish her first half marathon, whilst pregnant!, and Lance Armstrong finish his first marathon sub 3:00(2:59:36!!) , I found my motivation again. And although a full marathon may or may not be in the cards.. (after all, if Armstrong says the 26.2 miles "was without a doubt the hardest physical thing [he has] ever done", you think twice before committing) I'm ready to lace up the running shoes again.

I've checked my www.active.com schedule and I'm excited by all the runs listed. There are 3Ks, 5Ks, 10Ks, 12Ks, and oh yes... a Turkey Trot on Ocean Beach! I'm hoping my rediscovered drive is not shortlived; a lot of this "get up and go" could get up and leavee when faced with a 5am wake-up call in 45 degree weather. But I resolve that I'm just going to take it.. ... wait for it.... wait... One Step At a Time..... *rimshot*

So here's to Running Season and the Pounding of the pavement! May your legs remain strong and your laces stay tied.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

come and run the londo marathon!
EL Bicklo

Anonymous said...

or even the London one