Monday, June 09, 2008

And the Oscar Goes To....

I am aware that my blog is starting to look like a food blog.. and I reckon I should try to be more varied with posts or else just start a food blog altogether. But who wants another Machead prattling on about the iPhone 3G today? You will need to read me wax rhapsodic about my neighborhood once more.

The James Beard Foundation awards were handed out last night in New York. The awards, given annually, are basically the Oscars of the food world. And 2 of the top awards were not only given to San Francisco chefs, but to chefs that work their culinary magic in my hood, just 5 blocks away! Can I get a *whut whut*??!

Craig Stoll, chef and co-owner of Delfina in San Francisco, was named the best chef in California and Hawaii, one of 10 such regional awards. Stoll and his wife, Annie, also operate the adjoining Pizzeria Delfina which is delish but kind of a pain to eat at because of the neverending crowd. The New Yorkers took a lot of the big awards so I feel like it was sort of a gimme for Craig to go up against other Bay Area chefs in this regionalized award.

The other major prize, the Outstanding Pastry Chef award, went to Elisabeth Prueitt and Chad Robertson, owners of Tartine Bakery in San Francisco, as the best pastry chefs or bakers in America. The award designates a chef or baker who serves as a national standard-bearer of excellence. NATIONAL. AMERICA. Got that? The ham & cheese croissants? The savory bread pudding? They serve as a national standard-bearer of excellence. Warms my heart I tell ya. And my tummy too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do have great food within easy walking distance - I am jealous. I have not been to either Delfina yet, I need to check out at least the pizza one. Tartine absolutely deserves an award, but it's probably best for my overall health that I don't live too close to such a fabulous bakery.

Dave Doolin said...

You can prattle on me. Anytime. :p